Thursday, November 17, 2011

ADCAN nannies attend Nannypalooza 2011

Here's what a few of our members had to say about attending the event ...

I really enjoyed attending the Nannypalooza weekend. It was a great benefit and lots of amazing information for nannies and moms too! I really liked the play workshop. It was great reconnecting with old friends and making new ones too. I am so glad to still be a part of ADCAN! Thank you all for allowing me to stay involved in such a great organization.

I would definitely try and attend another Nannypalooza weekend in the future. I found it overall a great opportunity for all nannies to stay educated and connected to our amazing field.

Thanks!!

Lisa Holzbach Webb


Nannypalooza is always a great conference. Sue Downey and her helpers manage to get a good choice of speakers. One session that helped me was “Learning all about Learning Styles” with Joy Lesnick, Ph.D. She presented three basic learning styles: visual, auditory and kinesthetic. The group discussed helping children or students using four scenarios. Suggestions were given for each kind of learner. “Book Chat with Children’s Book Author and Blogger” with Julie Sternberg was also quite enjoyable. I may be biased a bit, because I recently left a long term job, and she wrote a book about a child whose nanny has left. The book is LIKE PICKLE JUICE ON A COOKIE. Julie also read from several children’s books and made some very good suggestions to get kids engaged in reading.

Nannypalooza does a good job educating nannies, but as always the best part for me is the networking. I made some important new contacts with agency owners. I reconnected with nannies from around the country that I know through going to conferences over the years. The conference gives me a great feeling of professionalism. The weekend is uplifting and highly motivating. All nannies should attend whenever possible .

Sue Krzos

Nannypalooza was a lot of fun this year. There were many good choices for workshops. I really enjoyed three workshops. The first being The over Programmed Child: Making Time to Play with Carolyn Stulberg. She enthusiastically discussed how important play time is for children. Later in the day I attended ‘Why Do They Do That?' What We Now Know About Developing Healthy Brains with Linda Lomabdo Ph.D. This unwittingly went hand-in-hand with aforementioned workshop. It discussed why play time, nurturing, and encouraging children are important for a developing brain.

Creative Tools to Teach Kids about Healthy Food with Debra Dennis of HealthyNannies4HealthyKids was the third session I enjoyed. It is important to teach kids to eat healthy. It is just as important for nannies to model this behavior.

And as always I have a blast seeing friends and making new ones!

Angela Jackson

No comments: