Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Meet Marcia Hall, 2011 INA Nanny of the Year


Featured Nanny … Marcia Hall, 2011 INA Nanny of the Year
By Janinne Gardner

On May 13th the International Nanny Association announced that the 2011 Nanny Of The Year was Marcia Hall. Marcia has been a nanny for almost 15 years since she graduated from the English Nanny & Governess School in 1997 when she was 19 years old.
She says, “I love being a professional nanny because I enjoy the challenge of teaching, nurturing and encouraging children while balancing managing their lives.”

As for why she decided to run for NOTY she says, “I decided to accept the nomination for Nanny of the Year in 2009 because I felt it was one more way to further my career as a nanny. Simply being nominated is a challenge and I like challenges. I accepted the nomination in 2010 and 2011 because I had many people - both nannies, employers past and present as well as other industry professionals telling me that I should go for it again. I was "suckered" into it ;) But honestly it is the greatest honor I think I could ever have as a nanny. I hope to represent the INA and professional nannies everywhere with greatness.”

In addition to the International Nanny Association she is a member of the Northshore Professional Nanny Alliance support group in Milwaukee. They participated in Nannypalooza- Nannies across America in 2010. She is also very involved in her church, Church in the City in Milwaukee, WI. In her church she has volunteered for many child related ministries over the 13 years she has been a member. She also works with Big Brothers and Big Sisters and used to be a part and work for a group on college campuses called Chi Alpha.
She currently works for a family with two children near her home of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a four year old girl and an eight year old boy. She comments, “The four year old loves to talk and is completely ready to start Kindergarten in the fall. The eight year old loves to play outside and spend time with his friends.” In addition to caring for these two wonderful children, she also cares for her own beautiful, energetic and intelligent two year old daughter, Nadia, who goes to work with her every day. She found this position through a local nanny placement agency, Perfect Match Nannies. She has been married for almost five years, they adopted their daughter when she was a day old and currently live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with their two cats, Sassy Pants & Chowder Head and their dog Allie.

She was born in Wisconsin not far from where she lives now. Her parents have since retired and now live in the northern woods of Wisconsin. “We have lots of fun visiting Grammy and Grandpa B.” Her older brother, Gene, lives in Milwaukee and gets to visit and baby sit Nadia very often.
She likes to organize her house and then re-organize it, she explains, “My husband Scott laughs that just when he figures out where everything in the kitchen, I re-organize it.” She also enjoys scrapbooking, but complains she is very behind. As a child she loved the Anne of Green Gables series and says, “I read and re-read ALL 8 of them. (Not many people know there are 8 in the series.) Lucy M Montgomery also had another series I liked Emily of New Moon. I used to think I was born in the wrong era. These days I read mostly non-fiction – if I ever get to read. A few great ones are Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne and a new one is Love Wins by Rob Bell. I do love listening to the Chronicles of Narnia series on audio. My husband thinks I should know them by heart now.”

She enjoys traveling and has been to some pretty cool places: Alaska, Hawaii, Dominican Republic, England and all over the US. To this she adds, “I would have to say hands down the best vacation I have ever taken was to Costa Rica in 2006. The family I had worked with for eight years just moved there and they invited me to come out and visit them. I spent three weeks there. The first was spent with the family on the west coast of the country, which was breathtaking. I spent a lot of time on the beach that week. The second week I spent on my own in the center of the country visiting volcanoes, raging rivers, natural fed hot springs and zip-lining through the rainforest. The last week of my vacation I spent on the east of the country with my cousin and her little 1 year old boy. They moved to the Caribbean side of the country a few years earlier. It was amazing to see how in just a few short miles the customs, culture and climate could change so dramatically. My husband and I have often talked about going back.”
When asked what makes her angry she replied, “What a loaded question. Unfortunately, way too many things make me angry. The list is long. But the thing that induces anger the most in me is ingratitude. That takes many forms. It is the thing I have the least amount of patience with when it comes to dealing with children but it also greatly angers me when I see it in the world. I see ingratitude when it comes to how we humans see our place in this world and in nature. In how the most fortunate see those that are less fortunate and vice versa. I wish that every person could look at what they have in life every day and realize exactly how much there is to be grateful for. I have this problem just as much as the next person. I have a great ability to not see what I really have and instead want what is just out of my reach. I believe if every person, young and old, could wake every day, look around and see all the amazing things they do have and be thankful for them – the world would be a different place.”

No comments: